Playing hockey in Europe

Posted by Nick V. on 27th November 2003 at 02:26 GMT
Posted from 24.66.247.172 (h24-66-247-172.ed.shawcable.net)

Hello,

My name is Nick and I wanted to see who out there has contacts and connections for playing in Europe, or if anyone is an agent. I prefer to play in Sweden, England, or Italy, wherever else is fine. I am from Alberta, Canada and have played hockey for several teams. Back in 1997 I was drafted by the Kamloops Blazers of the WHL and was later traded to Saskatoon Blades before getting sent home due to injury. I then played for the Langley Hornets of the BCHL Jr.A in British Columbia, then came home to play for the Concordia Thunder in the ACAC college league in 2000. 2001-02 I played for the Grant MacEwan College Griffins and went to play Senior Men's AAA for Fort Saskatchewan Cheifs. I am 21 years old, 6'0 and 190lbs. defenseman and have played with and against current NHL rookies such as Joffy Lupul(Anaheim Mighty Ducks, NHL), Jay Boumeester(Florida Panthers), and Brian Sutherby(Washington Capitals).

I have friends who have played in the german elite league with the same or more experience than myself and others have played as low as div.2. They told instead of finding an agent, to try on my own first because you get further. My scouting reports in the past have said that I'm a smooth skater with offensive capabilities and jumps into the offense during transitions.

I have all together about 4 years of major hockey experience and am wanting to play professional somewhere and get the opportunity to showcase my skills. I'm trying to be in the right place at the right time so NHL scouts will get a chance to see and notice my capabilities. I'm too old for Central Scouting so this is my only option unless I play in the East Coast League (ECHL) back home.

I would obviously be aiming at playing next season, I just had surgery on my right shoulder and was told by my medical staff to take this season off. My recovery date is scheduled for mid-February. My trainer will be working with me up into the summer months so that I am at an elite level of performance.

So if anyone, can provide info for myself, email me at nickvalente@hotmail.com. I need to know about passports, transfer cards, working visas and everything that accompanies this kind of paper work that will make me eligieble to play overseas.